I’m still experimenting with gear design. In the previous version the pinion (the small gear) had the teeth wrapped around a central single flat disk. Simple(ish) to make but prone to tilt over. A disk at each end would keep the gear straight and level so here we go.

I’ve started with a short central core, added a disk at one end and some white support pieces…

…then added a second disk to the top making a sandwich core.

I’ve made the teeth from twelve individual triangle sections glued together.

The teeth are wrapped around the cental core.

And here’s the finished pinion!

I fitted into the box from my previous model and it runs beatifully smoothly. I still have an issue where the pinion can drive the larger gear but the larger gear can’t drive the pinion. Further experiments needed I reckon.