Over the years I’ve developed new ways of tacking different paper engineering problems. One of the biggest step-changes I made was in axle design. In earlier models I fitted a square or even triangular axle loosely through a circular hole. In later models I use a circular axle which, as you would expect, works much better! One of my favourite older projects is the Dog Ate My Homework but when looked back at it with an eye to making a cutting machine version I noticed it has square axles. Time for a complete redesign!
The main mechanism is a version of the Shaker Essential Mechanism. I’ve made a few improvements over the original shaker so I’ll be releasing this as a mkii version.
The actual dog parts didn’t need much of a change. Here they are, fitted to the updates shaker mech.
Here’s the project in animated action…
View this post on Instagram
Paper engineering prototypes. Shortly to be released as mkii version of Shaker Essential Mechanism closely followed by and updated version of The Dog Ate My Homework. Both projects will be available as cut out and make as well as cutting machine versions. #papertoy #silhouette #cameo3 #stemeducation