Belt Drive Crank Slider Butterfly

Mon, 11 Oct 2010

I've done some more work on the combination crank slider / belt drive mechanism that I started yesterday and I must say its looking good!

The pulley wheels in the model that I made yesterday where a little bit too far apart, (above left) so I started off by remaking the top of the shaft with the wheels closer together. (Above right) 

To fit the pulley wheel in place I had to taper the top of the shaft. Then it was just a case of making a narrower shaft.

To tidy up the belts I've made a simple guide to hold them up against the shaft. This picture is from yesterday's prototype where I was trying the guide out.

I've also changed the diameter of the pulleys. The originals were 14mm, these are reduced to 12mm. For the same belt movement the wheel turns a few extra degrees. The result works really well, the movement has a different feel compared with push rod driven wings, much brisker and more positive.

Here's what it looks like with a body and head 🙂

  To receive new blog posts by email

Comments (2)

  • Shelley Noble October 11, 2010 at 9:54 pm

    Wow, Rob, I thought getting

    Wow, Rob, I thought getting insight into your process would make it easier for me to understand mechanisms but all it's done so far is increase my admiration for your engineering skills!

    • robives October 12, 2010 at 5:56 am

      Oh heck! I hope I haven’t put

      Oh heck! I hope I haven't put you off. Don't worry, when you get your hands on the model, all will become clear.

Comments are closed.