Currency:

0 items in the shopping cart
  • No products in the cart.

ages

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    waterrocketsrule
    Participant

I had someone ask me what’s the average age of paper automata.

I didn’t think it  mattered but i figured i would ask?

cool022883
    Participant

well you cant really answer the question because there are to many variables like how often is it played with how well was it made to start with how much glue was used the quality of the paper used the type of mechanism used like a gear mechanism will probly wear out faster then lets say a crank mechanism so there really is no way to accurately answer the question.

waterrocketsrule
    Participant

sorry i worded that wrong. when i first started paper automata i was told i was to old for it. Im 44 to me after making a few thing out of paper i dont see how it could  be childish cause some of it is hard to make. I just dont know how to reply to someone when they tell me that im to old an its childish. please dont get mad. im not the one calling it childish cause i know it not but there are people that do i guess.

thanks for the reply

Smelter
    Participant

You are never, ever, ever, too old to make models!!!

You can learn so much about mechanical and engineering principles, and with the vast resource of the internet, discover the history, names, places and uses of working objects.

Rob’s site is for me a springboard for going and finding out more about how and where the mechanisms he demonstrates are used. Then I come back and burble on about what I’ve found, and the next time I look, someone has modified one of Rod’s models from comments made.

So don’t let anyone tell you are too old for models, they keep your brain and dexterity skills alive.

Wow, first rant  2013. Now watch someone make an automata of a ranting model maker!

cool022883
    Participant

im almost 30 and i enjoy making paper automata too and actually alot of the people who are on the site are adults so i wouldnt call these childish.im sure the people who are calling them childish have never even made a paper automata so they have nothing to base it on.but now a ranting paper modeler automata would be very fun =)

waterrocketsrule
    Participant

lol im not ranting  im just asking lol

an im not calling them childish.

waterrocketsrule
    Participant

lol

thank you for your replies you guys are awesome!!!!! that helps a lot.!!!!!

paperpino
    Participant

Your age should never matter when you are doing what you enjoy. I found the Flying Pig site by accident in the year 2000, was immediately hooked, and have been making models of all sorts since then. I will be (a young) 70 this month.

R. Fletcher, Issaquah, Washington, USA (near Seattle) (It is raining this January day.)

ericito

Hoo, boy! I'm 74 going on 75 and have been building and designing paper automata for years and years. You are never too old until you can't cut straight with scissors and only smear yourself with glue instead of the paper.

waterrocketsrule
    Participant

lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.