Currency:

0 items in the shopping cart
  • No products in the cart.

230 micron card stock

Homepage Forums Paper Engineering 230 micron card stock

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nods_limb2
    Participant

Hey all! I just had a quick question regarding the card stock used in these crafts; I noticed that 230 micron card stock is used. Does anyone in the U.S know what cardstock here corresponds? I have a stack of 8.5X11 110 weight card stock.

I ask because I was working on the giraffe and it looks like the tolerances are different depending on the thickness of the cardstock. I haven't finished it yet, and thought while I was putting it together, I would post this and ask!

So – does anyone know what the U.S equivalent of 230 micron card paper is? I asked a local craft store person and she just looked at me funny.

Telman
    Participant

110lbs is about same.  230 micron card stock is  equal to 170gsm.    Here’s a chart on conversion lbs

to gsm   Telman

54 lb = 80 gsm

61 lb = 90 gsm

• 68 lb = 100 gsm

• 82 lb = 120 gsm

• 101 lb = 150 gsm

• 122 lb = 180 gsm

• 135 lb = 200 gsm 

nods_limb2
    Participant

Thank you Telman!!

hibberdmadhouse
    Participant

I think I've got this right now, but I'm not quite sure. See, I'm in the US and finding this a bit odd, myself. I was just at the shop and these are the weights I found listed on US card stock:

65 lb Cover = 174.8-175 gsm (listed as "cover stock")

67 lb Cover = 147 gsm (yes, that's what it said, you'd think it would be heavier/thicker than 65 lb, but it's not. Some listed as "light cover stock" just to confuse you.)

90 lb Index Card = 162.7 gsm (this weight was very limited and was sometimes listed as "light index card stock")

110 lb Index Card = 198.9-200 gsm

Note that "index card" stock is not actual index cards, but standard sheets.

If 230 micron is equal to 170 gsm in US cardstock then it seems the 65 lb "cover stock" would be the appropriate paper in spite of the lower apparent weight in pounds/ream (the US measure.) Very confusing. Further investigation yields the interesting fact that weights change when the expected use of stock changes from "text"  to "card." Cover stock being on a different scale than Index card stock or ordinary text/letterhead stock.

Confused? Yeah, I was too, until I saw the chart on this page: http://www.paper-papers.com/paper-weights.html

There was some other useful info on both micron and gsm paper on this craft site: http://icancraftnow.com/paper_card.html

So it appears that the appropriate card stock in the US for most of these projects is "65 lb cover stock." I think.

What do you guys think?

umehta
    Participant

65 lb cover stock works fine.

ahaataja
    Participant

There are so many variables. For instance, the Wausau 110 lb is thicker than, but not as stiff as the 100 lb card stock that I get when I have things printed up at FedEx Office. I like the stiffness of the stock from FedEx Office. I usually only print things at home if they are black and white because models suck up so much color.

iam.himes80
    Participant

A 180 gsm and a glossy stock is standard to use for this one, or get the highest card stocks to get the best result. It is bets that you ask your printing company what would best to use, I am using 180 gsm though for my business printing needs including postcards using this one http://www.digitekprinting.com/postcards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.